Friday, October 06, 2006

My Cottage Cheese: The Sending of "Regards"

By Mink

Ok you will have to excuse me. Of late I have gone away from posting about some of my ridiculous mis-adventures and instead have commented on some annoying phrases or behavior that I have observed from some of the more mainstream human beings whom I sometimes find myself around (although generally I try to surround myself with a collection of SingerZ-type inappropriate brain damaged clowns).

That being said, I feel obliged to address yet another pet peeve of mine that has recently come to light. So by now the annoyed readers (if there are still any) are probably wondering what in the world could possibly be my deeply philosophical and brilliant societal beef (Btw...why is that even a phrase? shouldn't beef always be associated with pleasant things and not used as a synonym for a gripe or qualm? I see the word beef I immediately think melt -in- your- mouth, juicy tenderloin steak, and its hard to have a gripe with that....but I digress)

So my Cottage Cheese (now I think we all can agree that this is a food that stands for an aggravation) centers around the excessive sending of regards. Now we all are guilty of this. Here is what I mean. You have a convo with your friend on the phone and the friend mentions some other person who they are about to see whom you also know. So instinctively you say something to the effect of "Oh please send him my regards!"

Now its fine to say this because it is polite and a conversational norm but clearly your friend is under no obligation to act as a messenger in the sending of your regards. And if you genuinely expect him or her to actually carry out your dirty work, then well I think of you as part of the cottage cheese (And for those of you wondering what my beef is with cottage cheese: Ever since I was a little kid, that is the one food that disturbs me even more than Roseanne Barr singing the national anthem http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20030717-9999_1c17barr.html ....it is soggy, kernelly and looks like baby drool.)

Anyway back to my drivel: The point is that if you really want to send "regards" (whatever that means) then pick up the phone and call the person. The bottom line is that the reason you are "sending" the regards in the first place is that you don't really care enough about the "regardee" to speak to them yourself.

My friend Julie disagrees and she got annoyed at me when she tried to send off the"regards" to my sister who is visiting this weekend from California. When I informed her that my sending of such a message was unlikely, she got all hissy and proclaimed that everyone sends regards and that I am just an asshole for not relaying the message.

Well that may be true. But I am right. But to humor Julie I will relay the message. Here it goes:

Dear Rachel (my sister),

Julie told me to tell you that she "sends her regards." She doesn't really think enough of you to call you herself. But she does want you to make sure that you receive her very meaningful "regards."


How's that?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

please send my regards to zev

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody ever sends regards to Mink because they don't care about him enough

8:16 AM  
Blogger The Mink said...

I am well Kasell. How are you?.....You see, isn't this little exchange in the blogger comments section much more personal than the pointless sending of regards? The big K and I may not be in great touch these days but we care enough to type in some friendly questions and call each other some juvenile names.....Thanks for caring, you Asswhipe Whore. I'll see you this weekend.

11:17 PM  
Blogger EDS said...

Julie sounds like she might need a slap in the head and a new cell phone plan. Tell her to make the call herself. If you don't call (or at least feel guilty about not calling) a person before the high holy days, then you don't need to bother sending regards when the name comes up. That's the rule I go by.

Sometimes I'll even catch myself and correct it. I'll tell my wife to send regards to a friend of hers and then suddenly realize that I don't care enough about that person. So I will quickly retract the regards. Don't want to waste em on the ugly friends, right?

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brim over I acquiesce in but I dream the post should prepare more info then it has.

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, If you have ever considered writing some script to automate those things that you are doing many times on a daily basis, then you have a great and easy way to automate the entir e process. It comes without saying that a few imacros and firefox add-ons will automate all actions related to a browser (Mozilla). If you would like to automate your system as such, then you may need another script, easy commands can automate your system. Even a beginner can automate things using a simple software called as sikuli all you need to do is to inform Sikuli what to do by giving some screenshots and straightforward commands.
A GUI can be used with Sikuli. Sikuli is an open siurce scripting application that will use a combination of simple commands like click, type, wait and so on. There's no internal API support, it just searches the screen for the image within the screenshot-that implies that you can use it for anything. There's literally no limit on how you use it to automate things.
This is too good to be true, but if you watch the following video, you will come to know that this is really easy. If you visit their home page, you get a lot of tutorials and support; it will be a cake walk even for beginners. You can check the video as well as get the software at [url=http://technoages.com/operating-system/apple-mac-os/automate-everything-through-a-simple-script-make-your-computer-listen-to-you/]TechnoAges.com[/url]

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home