Thursday, December 15, 2005

An Apt 1B flashback

By Mink

Just saw a couple of bugs crawling around the kitchen today and got pretty annoyed but every time I see a little critter I immediately crack a smile as I take a trip down memory lane to my days at Yeshiva University in Apt 1B.

You see our Apt was the daily host for informal gatherings to watch the NBA on TNT, the Ravens (back when they were good), Maryland Basketball (the championship year), the Redskins (not my choice), Emeril, free PPV (where we became captivated by classics like Coyote Ugly and Bring it On), Playstation2, and sitcoms such as Everybody loves Raymond, Seinfeld and the then hit show ED (the bowling alley lawyer show).

Besides humans (i guess you can call us that) Apt 1B was also a huge hit amongst the rodent community of Spanish Harlem. They too enjoyed hanging out and actually being able to find a place to watch non-NY sporting events but I think they came mostly to chill with my roomate whose half eaten snacks left around the apartment made it the perfect place for the mice to pre-game before checking out the wild rodent nightlife scene at the NY Subway Stations.

Anyway here is the 1B mouse tale that always brings a smile to my face:

It is about 2 in the morning and I am just returning from the library (believe me not an ordinary occurence). So I enter the apartment and am not surprised to find the remnants of a normal night in 1B which to give you an idea featured: half eaten chinese food, wrappers, empty 40's of Colt 45, cigarette butts and the like.....

I don't see him at first but my roomate is sitting behind his desk located in the back part of the living room near the heater (which was the entry point for our furry friends and where we constantly kept the glue traps smeared with peanut butter). He is holding a small broom and in a faint and almost moaning tone explains "Minkove we have a situation!"

I head over towards his desk to find the scene of husky disheveled man with a look of sheer horror and helplessness as he watches a mouse nibble on the remains of his cheese curls which he had opened a week ago. Apparently the 2 creatures had been sitting there this way (my roomate with broom in hand; mouse with cheese curl in mouth) for quite some time before I arrived. But we decided enough was enough and chased the critter around the apt until we lost track of her in the cushions of our fine looking whitish leather couch......ahhh, good times....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well then the feeling is mutual mink...i dig you too

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mink, thats bullshit. I am the mouse, and your roomate told me I could have the cheesecurls. He was eating a pastrami burger and was sick of the cheesecurls. Plus, when I ran away, I didnt run under the couch I ran into the pile of your nasty-ass V-necks.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rodent, THAT is bullshit. I was minding my own business, being all cheesy and curly and absolutely delicious, and all of a sudden you came out of nowhere and started chewing on me. You're nasty.
Guys, I love the blog, keep up the good work. Me and the pretzels read it almost every day.

1:28 AM  
Blogger EDS said...

There's a library at YU? Never knew that...

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet you a derf that when your roomate said "there's a situation" he was asking your advice on whether he should eat the mouse now or wait until the mouse eats the cheese curl thereby killing two disgusting items with one overweight mouth...as the saying goes.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
» » »

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home